1970 Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce
We are pleased to present this very well sorted UK delivered, upgraded RHD 1750 GT Veloce for sale. First registered in the UK on the 7th of September 1970 and bearing the registration mark IG 4062.
Mileage: Reading just over 40,000
Engine: Converted to Alfa 70 spec (149 bhp)
Disc brakes front and rear, uprated.
Suspension: uprated and slightly lowered.
Rear axle: Limited slip differential.
Interior: Beautifully trimmed in leather / Nardi steering wheel.
The structure is absolutely corrosion free, all shut lines and gaps are excellent. The interior has been expertly trimmed in leather, the seats are very supportive and comfortable.
All fluids and filters changed. Valve clearances checked and adjusted, timing chain inspected. Idle control valve rebuilt and setup. Engine sump / pickup removed, cleaned and inspected. Cooling system flushed. Full digital geometry setup. Rear wheel bearings and brakes replaced.
IG 4062 is a pleasure to drive enthusiastically giving great feed back and confidence. The 2 litre 75 derived engine gives strong performance working through a slick gearbox with perfect syncros and zero drivetrain noises. In combination with the uprated suspension and brakes the car offers a proper Alfa experience that is more than capable of both everyday use in today’s traffic as well as fast long distance touring.
The Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce (also known as 1750 GTV) appeared in 1967 along with the 1750 Berlina sedan and 1750 Spider. The same type of engine was used to power all three versions; this rationalisation was a first for Alfa Romeo.
The chassis was also significantly modified. Tire size went to 165/14 from 155/15 and wheel size to 5 1/2J x 14 instead of 5J x 15, giving a wider section and slightly smaller rolling diameter. The suspension geometry was also revised, and an anti-roll bar was fitted to the rear suspension. ATE disc brakes were fitted from the outset, but with bigger front discs and calipers than the ones fitted to GT 1300 Juniors and late Giulia Sprint GT Veloces. The changes resulted in significant improvements to the handling and braking, which once again made it easier for the driver to maintain high average speeds for fast touring.
The 1750 GTV also departed significantly from the earlier cars externally. New nose styling eliminated the "stepped" hood of the Giulia Sprint GT, GTC, GTA and early GT 1300 Juniors and incorporated four headlamps. For the 1971 model year, United States market 1750 GTV's also featured larger rear light clusters (there were no 1970 model year Alfas on the US market). Besides the chrome "1750" badge on the bootlid, there was also a round Alfa Romeo badge. Similar Quadrofoglio badges to those on the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce were fitted on C pillars, but the Quadrofoglio was coloured gold instead of green. The car also adopted the higher rear wheelarches first seen on the GT 1300 Junior.
The interior was also much modified over that of earlier cars. There was a new dashboard with large speedometer and tachometer instruments in twin binnacles closer to the driver's line of sight. The instruments were mounted at a more conventional angle, avoiding the reflections caused by the upward angled flat dash of earlier cars. Conversely, auxiliary instruments were moved to angled bezels in the centre console, further from the driver's line of sight than before. The new seats introduced adjustable headrests which merged with the top of the seat when fully down. The window winder levers, the door release levers and the quarterlight vent knobs were also restyled. The remote release for the boot (trunk) lid, located on the inside of the door opening on the B-post just under the door lock striker, was moved from the right hand side of the car to the left hand side. The location of this item was always independent of whether the car was left hand drive or right hand drive.
Early (Series 1) 1750 GTV's featured the same bumpers as the Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, with the front bumper modified to mount the indicator / sidelight units on the top of its corners, or under the bumper on US market cars.
The Series 2 1750 GTV of 1970 introduced other mechanical changes, including a dual circuit braking system (split front and rear, with separate servos). The brake and clutch pedals on left hand drive cars were also of an improved pendant design, instead of the earlier floor-hinged type. On right hand drive cars the floor-hinged pedals were retained, as there was no space for the pedal box behind the carburettors. Externally, the series 2 1750 GTV is identified by new, slimmer bumpers with front and rear overriders. The combined front indicator and sidelight units were now mounted to the front panel instead of the front bumper, except again on the 1971-72 US/Canadian market cars. The interior was slightly modified, with the seats retaining the same basic outline but following a simpler design.
44,269 1750 GTVs were made before their replacement came along.